Frequently Asked Questions
How does your hourly rate work?
- We begin charging for our service from the moment we get underway. Even after you are already safe and sound in your slip, the clock doesn’t stop until the towboat has returned to its home dock. All our services are billed at a one hour minimum charge.
I have a hull insurance policy with towing included. Why should I become a member?
- Some towing policies through hull insurance come with a deductible (usually $500), and others have a limit UP TO what they'll pay. If you aren't a member, we may charge $250/hr for our services. TowBoatUS offers low-cost towing plans that give you some extra breathing room with your hull insurance company’s policy. For $24, you get all the benefits of being a BoatUS member. With this option only the first $50 of a tow is covered. We recommend that you choose Unlimited Towing for $149 or Unlimited Gold for $175 depending on your needs.
Do I have to be a member if I need a tow?
- You don't have to be a member to get a tow. The only difference is that you'll be paying out of pocket. TowBoatUS members ALWAYS take preference over non-members.
What's the difference between you and your competition?
- Reynolds Towing & Marine Service has been under the same ownership since 1985. Our local competition has changed ownership many times in the same time frame. Captain Jim Reynolds puts each of his captains through a tough training program, and only hires top-knotch captains to run his fleet. In addition, we've built an excellent rapport with other local businesses, such as party boats, commercial fishermen, and water taxis. We have the expertise to serve the commercial vessels. We have the expertise to serve you.
What exactly is salvage?
- Salvage is when we can rescue your vessel and property from imminent danger. A salvage is not covered by your TowBoatUS membership, but can be covered through your hull insurance. For more information on salvage, please visit the TowBoatUS salvage page.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
121 Maple Avenue, Bay Shore, New York 11706 • 631-666-5380